Temporary Residents

A foreign national may not enter Canada as a temporary resident without first obtaining a temporary resident visa (TRV) unless he/she is from a visa-exempt country or holds a temporary resident permit (TRP). A foreign national may become a temporary resident if he/she has applied for that status, meets certain requirements and is not inadmissible. A medical examination may be required. Temporary residents must comply with any imposed conditions such as to leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay and re-enter Canada only if their authorization provides for re-entry. Temporary residents cannot work or study in Canada unless authorized. Please note: the so-called “visitor visa”, “student visa” or “work visa” do not exist; all visitors, students and temporary foreign workers are required to obtain “temporary resident visas” to enter Canada unless they are from visa-exempt countries. Temporary residents include:

A multi-entry TRV allows you to enter Canada multiple times. A single-entry visa normally allows you to enter Canada only once, but you may visit the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon (provided you are allowed to enter those countries) and return to Canada during the initial period authorized for your stay in Canada. Note: a TRP holder needs a reentry authorization if he/she leaves Canada and wishes to return to Canada. Such an authorization, if any, is provided at the time when the TRP is issued.

A temporary resident may apply for an extension of their authorization to remain in Canada if the application is made by the end of the period authorized for their stay and if they have complied with all conditions imposed on their entry into Canada (Extent your stay in as a visitor). If a decision is not made on the application by the end of the period authorized for their stay, the period is extended until the day a decision is made if the application is denied or the end of the new period authorized for their stay if the application is allowed. The temporary resident has implied status during the period and is allowed to continue his/her work or study if initially authorized.

A temporary resident may be allowed to restore their status within 90 days after losing their status but he/she does not have implied status during the period and is not allowed to continue his/her work or study.

For temporary residents (visitors, students and temporary foreign workers) who are destined to Quebec, Quebec’s consent is required by way of “Certificat d’acceptation du Québec” (CAQ).

Avoid the refusal of your application due to filling of the forms without knowledge of the law. Once an application is refused, a permanent record is created. Seek professional help from an experienced, ICCRC certified consultant. Get help by contacting our service hotline at (647)797-2318or email to info@viausimmigration.com to book a consultation today!