Temporary Resident Permit Holders

A foreign national who, in the opinion of an officer, is inadmissible or does not meet the requirements becomes a temporary resident if an officer is of the opinion that it is justified in the circumstances and issues a temporary resident permit (TRP), which may be cancelled at any time. A TRP has a maximum valid period of three years but is renewable if applied 30 days before expiry.

A Temporary Resident Permit holder has some privileges not available to other temporary residents:

  • The holder may apply for a Work Permit or a Study Permit within Canada if the TRP is valid for more than 6 months.
  • The holder may access health and social services.
  • Unless he/she is inadmissible on grounds of security, human or international rights violation, serious criminality, organized criminality, a TRP holder may apply to remain in Canada as a permanent resident after residing in Canada for three years (inadmissible on health grounds or on grounds of an accompanying family member who is inadmissible on health grounds) or five years (inadmissible on grounds of regular criminality, finance, misrepresentation or non-compliance with IRPA) as the case may be.

Avoid the refusal of your application due to filling of the forms without knowledge of the law. Once an application is refused, a permanent record is created. Seek professional help from an experienced, ICCRC certified consultant. Get help by contacting our service hotline at (647)797-2318 or email to info@viausimmigration.com to book a consultation today!