Become a Canadian Citizen
1. Applicant who is over 18 years old:
To apply for Canadian Citizenship, the applicant must be a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, has, subject to the regulations, no unfulfilled conditions under that Act relating to his or her status as a permanent resident and has, since becoming a permanent resident:
- Been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days during the five years immediately before the date of his or her application.
- Met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return of income in respect of three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years immediately before the date of his or her application.
- If between 18-54 years of age at the date of his or her application, has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada.
- If between 18-54 years of age at the date of his or her application, demonstrates in one of the official languages of Canada that he or she has an adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship and
- Must not be prohibited under the Citizenship Act (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/situations.asp).
2. Applicant who is under 18 years old:
To apply for citizenship for a child under 18:
- You must be the child’s parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian,
- The child must be a permanent resident, and
- The child must have a living Canadian parent (this also applies to adoptive parents) by the time he fills his application,
- The child can apply to become a citizen at the same time with one or both parents OR after one or both parents become a Canadian Citizen.
Avoid the refusal of your application due to filling of the forms without knowledge of the law. Once an application is refused, a permanent record is created. Seek professional help from an experienced, ICCRC certified consultant. Get help by contacting our service hotline at (647)797-2318 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org to book a consultation today!